Wednesday, July 22, 2009

All My Love...I think

Tonight I made a quick trip to the post office to send off some thank you notes for my wonderful hosts on this most recent road trip/vacation.

I ran up the Post Office steps, two-at-a-time. I knew the mail was going out within minutes and I wanted to make the cut. As I entered the building, I noticed a man pacing in front of the mail drop. In his hand was a large, yellow envelope, one that would hold a greeting card. I wanted to drop my letters in the slot, but this man was stationed right in front of the chute and in such deep thought, I hated to budge.

The careful penmanship aligned on the face of the envelope caught my eye. This man, obviously unsure about whether or not to drop the card into the slot, looked to be in his late 30's. He was well-groomed, from head to toe, but he carried his anxiety in a tight slouch. Maybe this card was an invitation for a first date...a card sent to a new, or potential, lover...maybe a birthday, or simply 'thank you for being you' card. Regardless, the big envelope held a card that was an important statement coming from this man.

I wanted to step up to him and whisper, "Mail it!" all the while thinking, "What have you got to lose? You will regret it the rest of your life if you don't. The what-if's will drive you crazy. Just mail it. Go for broke - she could be the love of your life. What is the worse that could happen? Drop it in and walk away and be confident that this is the right thing to do."

I mailed my letter in another slot down the way and left the lobby. As I sat in my car, belting myself in, I glanced up and saw this man from in front of the mail slot, empty-handed. There was a bounce in his step that was not there a few minutes ago. He was smiling....

No comments:

Post a Comment