Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sycamore Row Revisited

More national...and local buzz...about Sycamore Row. I was surprised to see this column in our local paper when I opened the Sunday edition. I was even more taken back when I read that USA Today had published a story last May on "Every Tree Tells a Story" and it was just now trickling back our local paper.

The university did a media blast last November when The Cultural Landscape Foundation gave their OK to release the story, but the Ames Tribune never published anything at the time about this designed cultural landscape. Sunday's article appeared only because a reader sent an inquiry to "Ask the Tribune". The columnist was up against a deadline, so she pursued the lead and found the story through the ISU e-newletter.

Better late than never, right? I was grateful that Sycamore Row got another shot at fame...locally. This is where it really matters. It is through grass-roots awareness and efforts that these cultural landscapes are talked about and protected. When a community realizes that they have a historical landscape right under their collective nose, or in this case, over head, residents tend to pay closer attention to these significant gems.

I tip my hat to you, Laura, for taking the time to tell this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment